Bayanihan Foundation Top TEN ACCOMPLISHMENTS – 2010 to 2016
For 2017, I would like to reflect on the accomplishments of the Bayanihan Foundation for the last five years. Your donation reaps big rewards. 97% of your donations goes directly to programs. Donors and supporters like you made these accomplishments possible. Consider making a gift to the foundation and contribute to the next list of successes to come:
- Provided Immediate Recovery Relief to 12,000 flood victims of Typhoon Haiyan (Yolanda)
On November 2013, Typhoon Haiyan made landfall in Guian, Samar becoming the strongest typhoon ever recorded, with sustained winds recorded up to 315 km/hour. By August 2014, I had visited Leyte and Samar three times and handed out 12,000 emergency food relief packages worth over $15,000 to far-flung barangays (villages) including providing food relief packages to street children scavenging on a garbage dump in Tacloban, Leyte.
- Planted over 30,000 mangrove seedlings and supported environmental youth leadership education to over 1,000 youth in Liloan, Cebu
Since 2011, board member James Castillo and other donors like you have supported youth environmental education for hundreds of youth in Cebu, planting over 30,000 mangrove seedlings to promote long-term sustainability and positive climate change. For the last five years, the Bayanihan Foundation has been supporting environmental youth leadership education to over 1,000 youth in Liloan, Cebu, in partnership with Visayas Mindanao People’s Resource Development Center (VMPRDC).
- Established three computer labs and Impact on education and children
In 2009, the Bayanihan Foundation donated used laptop computers to a local school in Binangonan, Rizal. In August 2014, the Foundation donated ten used laptop computers and ten used desktop computers to Giporlos, Samar, donations courtesy of Will Dix, Linda Jamrozy and other donors like you. In 2017, the Bayanihan Foundation plans to donate laptop computers in Iligan and build the first Internet ready classroom in a local public school there. Computer donations come from Vivian and Max Balagtas; Cristy Ward and family; Chica de Jesus; Vicente Saavedra and other donors. The donation of computers has impacted over 2,000 schoolchildren in three schools in the Philippines.
- Donated 3,000 book titles to create four libraries
Since 2011, the Bayanihan Foundation has donated over 3,000 book titles to create four libraries in four different islands throughout the Philippines. The first book drive was spearheaded by the Iligan Association of the Midwest; Helen Tulen; Abragan family; and many others. They donated 1,000 books to build a library at the Iligan Central High School. In 2017, the Bayanihan Foundation plans to donate an additional 500 books to replenish the library and build a fifth library in Tinago Falls, Iligan. The four libraries established has benefited over 2,000 students.
- Supported health and long-term sustainability by building latrines and water wells
In August 2014, the Foundation built two latrines for 4,000 school children in Iligan, Philippines in partnership with Rotary Chicago Far North. Since 2009, the Bayanihan Foundation has provided clean water to over 2,000 residents in six villages around Iligan City, in partnership with the Rotary Chicago Far North and other local Rotary clubs in Iligan. This effort was made possible with the generous support and supervision of Dr. Vicente and Mrs. Luz Saavedra. The foundation spearheaded building six wells in critical areas around Iligan helping both Christian and Muslim families in the area.
- Raised funds to support a public hospital
In October 2014, ‘The Adorables’ (Carminda Aldeza, Dr. Dorothy Anoina, Aurora Gagni and Eva Torres) held a fundraising party to build two hospital lobby canopies in Calamba in memory of the late Peter Aldeza, a native of Calamba living in the US. It’s a testament of Filipinos working together.
- Fed 10,000 indigent Filipino Muslims in Iligan area during Eid Al Fitr celebrations
Since 2009, the Bayanihan Foundation has fed over 10,000 indigent Filipino Muslims in Iligan during the Eid Al Fitr Muslim holy day of celebration. This feeding program is generously sponsored by the Zakat Foundation of America and the volunteer support of hundreds of local Christian Rotarians helping out. This effort is also spearheaded by Dr. Vicente and Mrs. Luz Saavedra and Imam Atty. Saidali Gandamra of Iligan City.
- Supported the construction of 20 homes for indigent families in Dingle, Iloilo
In 2015, the Bayanihan Foundation supported the construction of 20 homes for indigent families in Dingle, Iloilo, with the generous support of the PFK Family Foundation, the municipality of Dingle and Dingle Mayor Dr. Rufino Palabrica. This generous donation helped provided homes to 20 indigent families in the area.
- Supported the creation of United Philippine Amerasians (UPA) and organizing Filipino Amerasians in Clark and Subic
In 2014, the Bayanihan Foundation was proud to support the creation of the United Philippine Amerasians (UPA), a group organized by Filipino Amerasians for Filipino Amerasians, in partnership with WedPro, a local community organization in the Philippines. The UPA was able to organize their fellow Amerasians; highlight this forgotten issue in the local press; start advocating for their rights; and combat racism.
- Restart the advocacy for environmental clean-up of the former US bases in Clark and Subic
In 2012, Dale Asis traveled to Clark and Subic and successfully filmed unexploded ordnances in Clark and Subic, Philippines. The Bayanihan Foundation also conducted a literature review and helped jumpstart a coalition of seven local community organizations in the US supporting this issue, with the leadership of long-time organizer and activist Myrla Baldonado.
I have two additional accomplishments that needs to be added to this list!
- Sent three young Filipino Americans as NEXTGEN Fellows to learn about their Filipino heritage and promote philanthropy locally and globally
In 2015, the Bayanihan Foundation successfully sent three young Filipino Americans to visit the Philippines, reconnect with their heritage and encourage their own philanthropic efforts. In 2017, two of the NEXTGEN Fellows were inspired to create the Community Power Giving Circle, a giving program encouraging other young Filipino Americans to give to other youth. In 2017, the Bayanihan Foundation plans to send its second cohort of young Filipino Americans to the Philippines. Board members Maria Ferrera and James Castillo were instrumental in shepherding the NEXTGEN Project to fruition.
- Affected thousands of lives with 97% of donations going directly to programs
Since 2010, the Bayanihan Foundation has raised over $250,000 through individual donors. It has operated with little overhead costs; 97% of all donations go directly to long-term sustainable programs. The Bayanihan Foundation would like to thank the foundation’s board members for their leadership and financial support: James Castillo, Maria Ferrera, Ted Kirpach and Vincent Saavedra. Their generous contribution and hundreds of donors throughout the last five years made these accomplishments possible. Special thanks to Evelyn Castillo, the Foundation’s Philippine Liaison, the organization’s only paid part-time staff, for her tireless commitment and passion to help. Special thanks also goes to Will Dix, Barbara Dix and Shirley Pintado for their support and continued generosity. A big thanks also goes to the foundation’s many partners (in alphabetical order):
- Alliance for Bases Clean Up (ABC) and Myrla Baldonado
- Alliance of Filipinos for Immigrant Rights Empowerment (AFIRE)
- Carminda Aldeza and “The Adorables”
- Evelyn Castillo’s nieces and nephews in Giporlos, Samar
- Committee on Pilipino Issues (CPI)
- Atty. Saidali Gandamra
- Iligan Association of the Midwest
- Municipal government of Dingle, Iloilo and Mayor Rufino Palabrica
- Municipal government of Giporlos, Samar
- PFK Family Foundation
- Rotary Club of Chicago Far North
- Rotary Clubs of Iligan
- Dr. Vicente and Mrs. Luz Saavedra
- Visayas Mindanao People’s Resource Development Center (VMPRDC)
- Zakat Foundation of America
- and the hundreds of donors of the Bayanihan Foundation, thank you!